The Best Chocolate Chip Cookies. Ever.
I'm not a baker. I'm really not. I make Fudge, (really good Fudge!), but I can't just whip up a recipe for ANYTHING else. I've literally thrown out batches of cookies before. So I'd definitely never made anything close to The Best Chocolate Chip Cookie Ever.
Thennnnnn I started following @bakerbynature and found her Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe. The pics looked AMAZING. The biggest chocolate chip cookies ever, and with SO many chips in them! I figured I'd give it a whirl, even though I did have to substitute the egg out to make them safe for us. Needless to say, these cookies certainly did not go in the garbage!! They turn out incredible every time I've made them since, and I'll never go back.
You can check out Ashley's recipes for yourself by following her on Facebook and Instagram (@bakerbynature) or at bakerbynature.com.
CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
- 14 tbs salted butter
- 2 1/3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp flaky sea salt (we use coarse)
- 1 cup + 2 tbs dark brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 large eggs at room temp (we sub 2 tbs water, 1 tsp vegetable oil, and 2 tsp baking powder for each egg - whisk together separate from rest of ingredients)
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
Place the butter in a small sauce pan over medium-high heat and cook for about 2 minutes - stirring almost constantly - until the butter has completely melted and lightly browned. Remove from heat and scrape butter (and any brown specks) into a heatproof bowl. Place the bowl in the fridge and bring the butter back to room temperature (about an hour to an hour and a half).
- Once the butter is at room temp - preheat oven to 375 F, and line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium sized bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, and sea salt; set aside.
- In a separate bowl add the chilled brown butter and both sugars; beat on medium speed or about 2 minutes, or until light and fluffy. Add in the vanilla and beat smooth. Add the eggs (or in our case egg substitute), one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Gently fold in the flour mixture, stirring only until the flour begins to disappear. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Roll about a 1/4 cup sized ball of dough in your hands, then place on prepared sheet - leave enough room in between for spreading! Continue until all the dough has been rolled. Place baking sheets one at a time in the oven for 10 to 11 minutes, or until golden brown at edges but still soft in the middle.
- Let cookies cool for 10 minutes on the sheet before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Don't skip the salt! It adds such a WOW factor! A little goes a long way and it balances all the sweetness so well in these cookies.
- The brown butter is the best kept secret. I had never come across this before I found this recipe and I'm so glad I did.
- We don't always have 3 different kinds of chocolate chips on hand, but when we do, we do follow the mix listed in the ingredients. It definitely adds a layer to the flavor!
- We make these peanut free, tree nut free, and sesame free as well by confirming all ingredients adhere to our comfort level regarding shared equipment.
- Please note we have no affiliation with Baker by Nature. This is not a paid advertisement for this brand. Just a food-allergy family who enjoys these recipes and doesn't mind sharing how we modify to make allergy-free for us!