Peanut Free, Tree Nut Free, Egg Free Chocolate Cookie Ice Cream!
This one has been a huge hit in our house all summer! Adding the cookie crumbs in I think is what makes this recipe so special for our kids. Given their food allergies, they can NEVER walk into an ice cream shop and order hard ice cream. Sure, they're happy with their vanilla and chocolate swirl soft serve, but it's not the same. It's not the same as having an array of 30 flavors to choose from, and then toppings to boot. But the risk of cross contact is just far too great, so we steer clear.
In my efforts to give them more options for ice cream this summer, I purchased Cuisinart's ICE-70 Ice Cream Maker - and wow was that money well spent! It's incredibly easy to use, and although many recipes that come with it are not safe for us, there are some great basic ones to use as a foundation. That's just what we did for this one. We used Cuisinart's Simple Chocolate Ice Cream recipe, and just added in 12 of everybody's favorite chocolate cookie, crushed up into crumbles of goodness.
HOMEMADE PEANUT FREE, TREE NUT FREE, AND EGG FREE CHOCOLATE COOKIE ICE CREAM
- 2/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- pinch Kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 3 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
Put the cocoa, sugars and salt in a medium bowl, whisk to combine breaking up any larger pieces. Add the milk and, using a hand mixer on low speed or a whisk, beat to combine until the dry ingredients are dissolved. Stir in the heavy cream and vanilla. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours, or overnight.
- In our Cuisinart we let this churn for 20-25 minutes. I have found it easiest to pour all of the ice cream at the end of the timer into a bowl, dump the cookie crumbles in, and mix gently with a rubber spatula. We always freeze for at least a couple of more hours immediately after because we prefer a harder consistency for ice cream.
- In all of our ice creams so far, we have successfully substituted half & half for heavy cream on occasion (can't find our safe brand, etc). Sub the same amount called for in the recipe.
- This recipe is also sesame free. All ingredients used have been vetted for safety regarding food allergies that falls within our family's comfort level. Always check ingredients to ensure they meet your personal criteria.
- We have no affiliation with Cuisinart. This is not a paid advertisement for this brand. Just a food-allergy family who enjoys this product and doesn't mind sharing!