Coffee Cake Donuts - Egg Free, Peanut Free, Tree Nut Free
Most of the time I find Baker by Nature's recipes pretty intimidating because they look INSANELY delicious - gorgeous, mouth-watering pictures and all. This one was particularly out of my comfort zone but my Littles NEVER get to have donuts given their food allergies. So I decided to give it a try, and wow was I happy I did!
This recipe is taken directly from Baker by Nature (follow her @bakerbynature on both Facebook and Instagram, or bakerbynature.com), and the only substitute I had to make was for the one egg!
COFFEE CAKE DONUTS (no egg, no peanuts, no tree nuts, no sesame)
Ingredients: [crumb topping]
- 1/4 stick cold unsalted butter, cut into tiny cubes
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 1/2 tbs all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup full fat sour cream
- 2 1/2 tbs unsalted butter, melted
- 1 large egg (we use 2 tbs water, 1 tsp vegetable oil, 2 tsp baking powder)
Ingredients: [vanilla glaze]
- 1/2 cup confectioner's (powdered) sugar
- 1/2 tbs whole milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 350 F. Spray donut pan with non-stick and set aside
Crumb topping: in a small bowl combine the sugar, flour, and cinnamon. Add in the butter cubes and quickly work them into the mixture until it resembles a coarse meal; chill the topping in the freezer while making the donut batter.
- Donuts: In a large bowl whisk together the dry ingredients. In a separate bowl whisk together the wet ingredients. Gently fold wet mixture into the dry mixture - don't over mix!
- Spoon or pipe the batter into the prepared donut pan (6 molds). Divide the crumb topping evenly among donut tops, and bake for 10-11 minutes. Allow them to cool for 10 min in the pan before gently lifting them out and transferring to a wire rack to cool for a few more minutes.
- Glaze: In a small bowl whisk together the confectioner's sugar, milk, and vanilla. Drizzle over donuts and serve.
- We have no affiliation with Baker by Nature. This is not a paid advertisement for this brand. Just a food-allergy family who enjoys these recipes and doesn't mind sharing how we modify to make allergy-free for us!